Location: Burnaby, BC
Job type: Full-time
i-onCONNECT’s focus is linking innovation to industry. Our unique core service is using advanced project management tools to fast-track product development and engineering for cutting-edge products, services. We help commercialize and launch products, services, and systems. We provide incubator/accelerator services to innovative start-ups and entrepreneurs, enabling them to achieve their business goals successfully. i-onCONNECT offers value-added business services and onsite access to more than 36,000 square feet of office space and a prototype lab.
i-onCONNECT Technologies Inc. has an opportunity for an Electrical Hardware/Firmware Engineer to join our team. Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the Electrical Hardware/Firmware Engineer will be responsible for the design, development, and construct of various electronics and electromechanical equipment. Specifically, this position provides technical contribution concerning all electronics product development initiatives; generates product specification, schematic capture, PCB layout, and firmware/software development. This role verifies that designs are feasible for mass production, designs manufacturing methods and programs, and manages product revisions.
Other engineering functions will fall under the direction of the Electrical Hardware/Firmware Engineer on a project-by-project basis.
- Research, develop, design and test electronic components, products and systems for commercial, industrial and scientific applications; applying principles and techniques of electronics engineering.
- Design, test, prototype and implement digital and analog electronic circuits, PCB’s and cables; perform schematic capture, component specification, board layout, firmware and software development, etc.
- Model control systems.
- Contribute to establishing base hardware platforms for all new products and conduct a feasibility assessment of these platforms.
- Conduct electrical circuit analysis including stability and power dissipation.
- Participate in the creation of product mock-ups and prototypes to validate design concepts.
- Evaluate operational systems and recommend design modifications to eliminate causes of malfunctions or changes in system requirements.
- Support and maintain electro-mechanical equipment and systems. Troubleshoot and solve problems of functioning prototypes.
- Evaluate technologies in the marketplace for their potential application to the company’s business and champion the design, prototyping, and implementation efforts.
- Utilize computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering tasks.
- Collaborate and interface with team members to ensure manufacturability of product design and delivery.
- Ensure ongoing compliance with local, national, and international standards and legislation.
- Detailed electronics design and tolerancing, performance simulations, sampling trials, assembly trials, and reliability testing in line with the overall project plan.
- Own design for manufacture (DFM) and design for assembly (DFA) activities and transfer.
- Assess concept proposals for their feasibility to meet cost, reliability and durability requirements.
- Provide schedule estimates for electronics engineering tasks for an entire project, including detailed monitoring and follow-up on the progress of the project with management.
- Monitor the investigation and resolution of any technical issues raised through trials, testing, reviews and/or manufacturing qualification.
- Prepare engineering documents, manuals, and drawings.
- Prepare bill of materials and raising purchase requisitions for parts and other related products
- Carry out prototype builds and testing.
Education, Experience, Skills & Abilities:
- Degree in Electrical or Electronics/Computer Engineering, or Diploma of Technology or similar with a focus on electronics and firmware development.
- Min 3 years of experience in schematic capture, board layout, embedded control systems and firmware development; expert knowledge of digital and analog circuitry design.
- Expertise in product design areas such as DFM and DFA associated with electronic components.
- Able to create and review technical documentation, including project plans, test procedures, and design documents.
- A proven track record in the development of highly successful electronics, with experience in FPGA programming and microcontrollers.
- Embedded firmware experience with C, C++.
- Familiarity with industrial communication protocols (Modbus, Profinet, EtherNet/IP).
- Experience with Lab Test equipment e.g. oscilloscope, logic analyzer, power supply, soldering equipment.
- Experienced with Altium Designer, SolidWorks, PCB design tools, FPGA and MCU design tools, LINUX.
- Experience in the following areas would be an asset:
- Development of sensors and measurement products.
- Knowledge of electronics manufacturing processes, testing and troubleshooting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; highly effective in formulating and communicating concepts, ideas and strategy; strong technical documentation abilities.
- Highly motivated and able to work independently; able to provide team and project leadership.
- Familiar with production systems, regulations, guidelines, and associated standards.
- Creative and innovative in approach; an excellent grasp of diverse, fundamental electrical/electronic engineering concepts.
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is desirable.
- Travel may be required for field testing, customer visits, trade shows or technical conferences.
- Opportunity to work with a young and innovative company.
- A diverse portfolio of technologies and business ventures.
- Opportunities for career and professional development.
- A competitive salary, including medical, extended health, and dental benefits.
- Potential for profit sharing.
- Our workplace – flexible, fun and dynamic.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
We thank all who apply but regret that only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.